Saturday, November 16, 2013

Stay off the Highway to the Danger Zone

First week: over. Literally everyone exceeded my expectations. It was amazing. And I'm pretty sure almost all of you can handle it.

But okay. I love the desire to push through pain. One of the most important skills you can learn in life is being able to do things you don't really want to do. However-

I don't love aggravating (making worse) injuries. Actually, I hate aggravating injuries.

I've been lucky. I've raced six marathons, countless 5ks, and everything in between, and I've never really been injured. Some people aren't as lucky as I am. Lance and I really, really want to know if you are one of those people. Please tell us. Even if you think it's normal, it might not be.

Yes, I've had things hurt, sometimes a lot. But it takes a while to really know what things are allowed to hurt, and what pains mean, "stop right now, you're doing serious damage."

I am not a medical professional, and I can't feel your pain. This is why you need to tell us (Lance or myself), somehow. Email, in-person, however. Bottom line: I don't want an injury to end your season early. I'll be honest, I have been pretty sore this entire first week, but I (sort of) know how things are supposed to feel. As far as I can tell, Lance is a mutant super-athlete who doesn't feel muscular pain, but is still limited by tendons and ligaments.

Every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday (3:15-5:00 p.m.), a real professional visits Tech, just feet from our normal meeting place. Normally, people pay a lot of money for a consultation, but it's totally free for Tech and South students.



This is a map of the "Medium Bridges" route we ran on Friday. Those who were running Short Bridges, we cut across the bridge on Hwy 23/2nd street. Sorry my 3.7 mile estimate was off, but congratulations on running more than four miles! Long Bridges would be a pretty big deal, going all the way to Sauk Rapids. Cross-country (maybe long-distance track) runners might do Long Bridges, but we probably won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment