Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A few (closing) thoughts.

Tonight I was floored and overwhelmed by the generosity and support of Tech’s ski family. Both in material gifts and in the invaluable spoken and written words you sent toward me and everyone on the team. Remember: all I could ever do is facilitate. I couldn’t ski an extra lap for you. I wasn’t a puppeteer controlling your movements. You improved your own technique. You got in better shape. It’s cliche for a reason: hard work pays off.

And everyone on this team worked hard. Choose whatever story you want from this season:

-Skinnyski wrote it already: “
There was no bigger surprise in the boys field than Cory Rouw of St. Cloud Tech.”

-I was a little surprised to find out we won sections. We beat teams literally twice our size; imagine how strong Tech would be with a team twice as big.


-How many first-year skiers amazed their teammates with how quickly they improved?


Everyone on this team is full of surprises. And I think some of you even surprised yourselves this season.


My favorite part was watching the team come together. You shared each others’ victories and sympathized with each others’ defeats (which are widely recognized as the first step to success). I would be surprised if you remember your finish time at the second meet this year. I would be even more surprised if anyone who was at the section meet has wholly forgotten what it felt like to celebrate all of the victories that day with one another.


This is what is valuable to skiing. It’s the connections you share and the memories you make.

My point is that
you skied, you worked on your technique, you got in better shape - and there’s literally no one else in the universe who can do that. All of you have helped build this team. I didn't make you a faster skier, you made yourself a faster skier.

I’m giving in to temptation to quote,
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins


I welcome feedback and criticism of any kind, because I know we all can improve but it’s often most difficult to see where to improve from the inside looking out.

Thank you for making this such a great season.

P.S.: Here is the Victor C. Dunder award application information.

No comments:

Post a Comment